Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Still Here

I'm back after an unintentional hiatus. I think about blogging a lot, but life is just so full...full of things I have to do, or should do, or moments where I am just frozen and overwhelmed and then do nothing at all.

But I'm still here, and so are the bees. The chickens are here, too, and now taking up more of my time and making me feel neglectful of my lovely little bees that go about their life's work whether I'm paying attention or not. They don't anticipate my visits, or notice my absence. The bees go on living and dying.

I haven't been totally absent, though. I've been checking in on my friends to make sure all is well. My concern grew last month after their failure to start building more new comb, so after seeking advice from a trusted online group dedicated to natural beekeeping in top bar hives, I started feeding back the honey I had harvested. The bees took it happily and I did start to see a bit of progress, more honey storage, and more activity in general. I think it was the boost they needed. Unfortunately, though, it also brought something else to light: the very first pest I've seen in my hive. When I went in to refill the feeder and lifted it off the base, I saw a few small black beetles scatter. A quick online search confirmed my suspicions. It was the small hive beetle. These beetles made there way here from Africa during the 90's, and they love honey. They live inside hives where their larvae tunnel through honeycombs and can cause honey to ferment in hives with heavy infestation.

The bees have their ways of controlling things, though. I read that bees will actually corral the beetles into "jails" built of comb on the sides of the hive. The beetles, not to be outdone, have figured out a way to trick nurse bees into feeding them. In the end, they are only a serious problem for weak hives. Is my hive weak? Possibly. I took my worries to the online group again, and a total stranger in Texas sent me some of the traps she uses in her hives. It was such a kind gesture from a total stranger. I have one of the traps in the hive now, hopefully killing those stupid beetles so my bees can worry about getting things ready for the coming winter instead of trying to corral beetles.

It's time for me to start seriously feeding so they can build up enough stores to make it through winter. I've heard lots of different stats about probability of a hive making it through winter. At the moment I'm concerned that my hive does not have nearly enough honey stored up to last, so I'm going to start feeding in a major way to hopefully help make up for that. I also read that you can leave a sheet with granulated sugar in the hive over winter or make "bee candy" as emergency food. I know there is chance that they won't make it. I suppose I'm mentally preparing myself if that happens, but I can't say I won't be pretty sad if it does.

Of course I could start over with a new package or a swarm next spring, but how wonderful would it be to see my hive continue to grow from what I started from a small box this past April? We shall see. At the moment they've only built on two new bars (as of last inspection). They finally started building on the new comb guides and thankfully things seem nice and straight.


The bees are noticeably more defensive and irritable, which is normal for this time of year, but doesn't help me. The less I suit up and open the hive, the harder it gets for me to go back in there. Earlier in summer I had gotten to a point where I was not nervous at all while working with them, but a couple of weeks ago I had a bee chase me all the way back to the house and it unnerved me a bit. Knowing that they're going to be more protective now of their precious stores doesn't do much to boost my courage, but I try to focus and trust the jacket to save me. I'm not sure if they could sting through my jeans. Hopefully that's not something I have to find out.

In other news, the chicken coop is now complete, and my little peeps are officially moved in. They are 7 weeks old now and not little at all any more. There are a couple that are very wary of me, but one is quite friendly and will sit on my shoulder. My dad and I still have to finish the permanent outside run and add nest boxes, but for now I've set up a temporary area where they can come outside. They love to come out and scratch on the ground looking for bugs. I let them out last weekend as I was painting and could barely bring myself to close them back in again because they looked so happy. A corner of the pen was sunny, and they had all flopped down to sunbathe, legs and wings outstretched in all directions. They are endlessly amusing. I can't wait until they're bigger and I can let them out in the yard on weekends when I'm home.
Buttercup

Fall is most definitely here, and we are all making some sort of preparations. Take your honey back, my dear bees. Take these golden liquid memories of summer to sustain you through the cold winter days.

Life goes on in the backyard.


    Then, when the late year wastes,
    When night falls early and the noon is dulled
    And the last warm days are over,
    Unlock the store and to your table bring
    Essence of every blossom of the spring.
    And if, when wind has never ceased to blow
    All night, you wake to roofs and trees becalmed
    In level wastes of snow,
    Bring out the Lime-tree-honey, the embalmed
    Soul of a lost July, or Heather-spiced
    Brown-gleaming comb wherein sleeps crystallised
    All the hot perfume of the heathery slope.
    And, tasting and remembering, live in hope
.
-From "Honey Harvest" by Martin Armstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment