Sunday, April 29, 2012

Episode II: The One Where I Can't Light the Smoker

One week post-installation and it was time to visit my friends and check on their progress. I spent a few minutes of almost every day this week sitting outside the hive, and today I was very excited to see some of the workers returning with pollen. I think in that moment, I finally believed that they were here to stay, and weren't going to decide to fly off on me.
I went over the plan for my first inspection several times in my head since I got the package into the hive. I was really worried that they would start building comb all over the place and all the bars would be stuck together. I also totally psyched myself out reading about Russian bees (the type I chose) and people saying that they were more aggressive. After the slightly traumatic experience of installing the package, I was nervous about getting up close and personal again. I found a lot of internet debate about using smoke vs. not using smoke, but I had already bought a smoker, and people have been using smoke to work with bees since the days of ancient Greece, so I figured that was the way to go. There are also lots of suggestions about what to use as fuel for your smoker. You need something that burns cleanly and slowly. I bought a bag of aspen bark meant to be bedding for reptile cages at the pet store. I thought it would work out okay. Instructions for the smoker said to use some paper at the bottom to get things going and then put your fuel on top of that, so I tore up some junk mail and stuck it in. I lit the paper, it smoked for a minute, then...nothing. I tried stirring it up and re-lighting, and it went out again. After three or four attempts, I gave up on the aspen bark and started looking for alternatives. I settled on some dried leaves and stuck them in. Finally, success.
I zipped up my hood, tucked my jeans into my socks (oh, yeah!), and headed towards the hive. All the time spent messing with the smoker was actually helpful in calming my nerves, but I started to get anxious again as I got closer. I stepped up to the entrance and puffed some smoke there to calm them down, then I waited a minute to see what would happen. The bees scattered for a minute, but then seemed to go on about their business. I pulled off the roof and braced myself for more activity. At that point, I did get a few buzzes around my head that took my breath away for a second. After reminding myself that they could not sting me though my jacket, I kept moving. I pulled one of the bars out behind the follower board (the space still closed off to the bees) to make a little room. Unfortunately, due to my over-zealous application of beeswax to make the bees feel at home, I got some on the sides of the bars and now they fit really tightly together. As soon as I slid some of the bars back, the bees started poking their heads out. I went to grab the smoker to try and shoo them back down inside the hive...and it had gone out. This was the worst possible moment, because I was about to really disturb them. I ran back and grabbed the matches from my porch and tried to re-light it. I used every match in the book without success, but like before, the bees didn't seem all that concerned with me, so I kept moving. I pulled out the forth bar from the front, and there was the beautiful beginning of new comb. I'm sure I had a big smile on my face. Bars 2 and 3 also had comb on them, although not quite as straight. I could see pollen and nectar stores, but did not see any eggs. Her Majesty was not spotted, but it's too soon to worry. For the time being, I will just assume she is there. They attached a comb to the wood at the very front of the hive that I can't pull out, so she could have been there for all I know. I calmed down enough to show my curious neighbors some of the new comb and remembered to check the sugar syrup. Still 2/3 full, so I did not re-fill.
When it came time to close, I had some challenges since I did not have any smoke to chase them back down into the hive. I'm sure I squished a few bees in the process, and I felt bad. I guess it's inevitable, but I still don't like it. Getting the last bar back in was difficult, but I finally managed.
Lessons from my first inspection:
-Need new smoker fuel
-My bees are not mean. Besides the buzzing around my head, none attempted to sting. A few landed on my legs and just checked me out. We're totally friends now.
-May need to sand down one of the top bars so that the rest fit into the hive more easily
-I can take my time. The bees don't seem to mind how long it takes me to do things, as long as I move slowly and steadily.
At some point I must have gotten smoke all over myself, because I can still smell it on me as I sit here and type. That was really my biggest challenge of the day.
Now that I know I can do this, the struggle will be not to open up the hive too much. It's so interesting to see the progress, but I know the bees won't appreciate it if I mess with them a lot. I guess there's always a chance they could decide to leave.
I took my camera with me, but I was too concerned with everything else to take any pictures while the hive was open. I hope to do that next time. I did get some good close up shots of the entrance, though.
 Don't be hatin',we're just pollinatin'
Today the bees taught me that patience pays off, and that I should trust them to do what they know best. I'm so excited they're still here. The past few days have been rainy, cold, and depressing, but the weather finally broke today. Seeing that beautiful new comb was the highlight of my weekend.

Little chemic-artisan,
Doing work no other can,
Deep in dewy nectaries,
Petal-walled refectories--
Apple-blossom, columbine,
Rose and lily, all are thine,
Yet, though oft thy weight they bear,
Dost thou know how they are fair?
Thine are sun and summer breeze--
Hast thou aught of joy in these?


From The Bee by Arthur Guiterman

No comments:

Post a Comment