Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Still with me, so far

Dear Bees,
Thank you for paying no mind to this clumsy beekeeper on Sunday as I made my first visit to the hive since you first moved in. I suppose seeing me outside your hive almost every day has helped you start to grow accustomed to my presence. There were a few of you who let it be known that I was in bee territory, but mercifully no stings. I am grateful for your gentleness and tolerance. Watching you makes me feel peaceful. I promise, I'll get more graceful as we go along. 
Love,
Sarah

The Honey Bee's Whisper
by Sarah Hegner 5/1/12

It must be too much television
Exaggerated sound effects of
Angry swarms when
In reality it is a subtle murmur
Softly buzzing.
With five eyes you have seen
The heart of the honeysuckle
The secrets of the sunflower
The anguish of an apple blossom.
Can you feel the
pounding heart of this
clumsy beekeeper
Who burdens your wings with
her deepest regrets
Sends her hopes on your
Tiny backs
As you fly towards the sky?
She looks to you for reason,
And your wings whisper
"Shhhh"

No comments:

Post a Comment